US Religious Freedom Report Faults Nepal for Restrictions on Tibetans
The 2021 Report on International Religious Freedom, released by the US State Department on Jun 2, has taken exception to the fact that police surveillance of Tibetan refugees in Nepal had remained high throughout the year.
In some cases, the number of security personnel monitoring Tibetans and the scrutiny of Tibetan cultural and religious celebrations, particularly those involving the Dalai Lama, increased, noted theannapurnaexpress.com in a dispatch on Jun 8.
Further, Tibetan community leaders were cited as saying while government authorities generally permitted them to celebrate most Buddhist holidays and cultural events in private ceremonies, public celebrations, including of the Dalai Lama’s birthday, continued to remain prohibited.
On the actions the US government had taken on the situation, the report has said the Ambassador and visiting US government representatives had met with Nepal’s officials to express concern regarding restrictions on the country’s Tibetan community.
Also, embassy officials were stated to have met with civil society groups and government officials to discuss the challenges of registering and reregistering religiously affiliated NGOs and other NGOs.
Nepal insists that it imposes those and other restrictions on Tibetans due to its adherence the “one China” policy, vowing never to allow any “anti-China” activities, as perceived by Beijing, on its soil.
- Book Review DESTINY OF A DYSFUNCTIONAL NUCLEAR STATE
- Book ReviewChina FO Presser Where is the fountainhead of jihad?
- Book ReviewNews Pak Syndrome bedevils Indo-Bangla ties
- Book Review Understanding Vedic Equality….: Book Review
- Book Review Buddhism Made Easy: Book Review
- Book ReviewNews Elegant Summary Of Krishnamurti’s teachings
- Book Review Review: Perspectives: The Timeless Way of Wisdom
- Book ReviewNews Rituals too a world of Rhythm
- Book Review Marx After Marxism
- Book Review John Updike’s Terrorist – a review
Recent Top Post
- News Journalist Sophia Huang, labor activist Wang Jianbing face subversion charge
- News Xinjiang village walled to control Uyghur movement
- Commentaries Prachanda in China with a Wish list
- News Uyghur event in NY goes ahead despite Beijing’s warning
- News China’s Income Gap Widens
- NewsTop Story “Role Model” Uyghur entrepreneur jailed for 15 years
- News Afghan Taliban Detain 18 on Charges of Preaching Christianity
- News Uyghurs urge UN GA to halt China’s genocide in East Turkestan
- News Among Uyghurs, China aims to ‘meld Islam with Confucianism’
- News Crackdown on Muslims in rural Xinjiang