Philippines terminates China talks for joint energy exploration
The Philippines has called off its negotiations with China for joint oil and gas exploration in the South China Sea, a Manila report said quoting the foreign secretary Teodoro Locsin.
President Rodrigo Duterte has ordered the termination of the talks with China though he himself had set the ball rolling for the joint work way back in 2018, Locsin said.
The proposal for joint exploration came from China, which proposed that it be undertaken in the Philippines’ exclusive economic zone.
“Three years on and we had not achieved our objective of developing oil and gas resources so critical for the Philippines but not at the price of sovereignty. Not even a particle of it,” Locsin has said noting that the two countries have conflicting claims in SCS.
He also called on the incoming Philippine administration of President-elect Ferdinand Marcos Jr to protect the country’s sovereignty.
China has maritime disputes with several countries in the South China Sea on the shelf of which significant reserves of hydrocarbons have been discovered.
- Book Review DESTINY OF A DYSFUNCTIONAL NUCLEAR STATE
- Book ReviewChina FO Presser Where is the fountainhead of jihad?
- Book ReviewNews Pak Syndrome bedevils Indo-Bangla ties
- Book Review Understanding Vedic Equality….: Book Review
- Book Review Buddhism Made Easy: Book Review
- Book ReviewNews Elegant Summary Of Krishnamurti’s teachings
- Book Review Review: Perspectives: The Timeless Way of Wisdom
- Book ReviewNews Rituals too a world of Rhythm
- Book Review Marx After Marxism
- Book Review John Updike’s Terrorist – a review
Recent Top Post
- CommentariesTop Story Mission Amritpal
- NewsTop Story Video of dancer in mosque inflames Uyghur anxieties about China’s attacks on religion
- News China’s new rural land transfer scheme sparks fears over heavy-handed enforcement
- NewsTop Story Tibetans abroad rally in support of Dalai Lama following outrage over video
- News Taiwanese publisher detained in Shanghai
- News Australian lawmakers meet with Dalai Lama, government-in-exile in northern India
- News Chinese pandemic whistleblower tried in secret, given 3-year jail term
- News Joshua Wong Sentenced in Another Hong Kong Activism Case
- News China FO Presser, Apr 17, 2023
- News China’s Repression of Uyghurs Extends Beyond Borders, Report Says