China blocks proposal at UN to designate LeT terrorist Sajid Mir as ‘global terrorist’
China has once again put a hold on a proposal moved at the United Nations by the US and co-supported by India to designate Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) terrorist, Sajid Mir as a “global terrorist.
He is India’s most wanted terrorist and was involved in the 2008 Mumbai attacks. The US moved the proposal on Friday to blacklist Mir under the 1267 Al-Qaeda Sanctions Committee of the UN Security Council as a global terrorist.
It is the third time that China has blocked an India-US proposal in recent months. Earlier Beijing stood in the way of declaring Abdul Rehman Makki of Jamaat-ud-Dawa (JuD), and Abdul Rauf Azhar, the brother of Jaish-e Mohammed (JEM) chief Masood Azhar as global terrorists.
Abdul Rehman Makki is a LeT Deputy Commander and brother-in-law of Hafiz Saeed, founder of the LeT. The UN has declared JuD, the political branch of the LeT, a terrorist front group.
Resolution 1267 provides for sanctions against individuals and entities that support or finance the acts or activities of ISIL, Al-Qaida, associated individuals, groups, undertakings and entities.
Sajid Mir is a top Lashkar-e-Tayyiba (LeT) Commander and is in charge of the “India Setup” of LeT.
Sajid Mir is one of the masterminds of the Mumbai Terror Attack (November 26, 2008). He was responsible for the largest ever overseas LeT terror attack resulting in the death of nationals of several countries including India and Western countries.
Mir was LeT Project Manager for the Mumbai attacks. He, through satellite phone, guided the terrorists involved in the operation..
He is also actively involved in the launching of LeT operatives into India.
He looked after the security of Zaki-ur-Rehman Lakhvi (LeT Operations Chief), responsible for anti-India terror operations.
Sajid Mir was involved in overseas recruitment and training activities for LeT. He had travelled to Canada, UAE, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Maldives and Saudi Arabia in cnnection with his ops.
In 2003 a LeT module controlled by him was busted in Australia. Five years later, Sajid Mir reportedly underwent plastic surgery..
Mir was indicted in the District Court of Northern Illinois in April last year. He was charged with providing material support to terrorists, and the bombing of places of public use besides aiding and abetting killing a citizen outside of the US. He was also designated as a Specially Designated Global Terrorist (SDGT). Washington has put a reward of $ five million on his head.
- Book Review DESTINY OF A DYSFUNCTIONAL NUCLEAR STATE
- Book ReviewChina FO Presser Where is the fountainhead of jihad?
- Book ReviewNews Pak Syndrome bedevils Indo-Bangla ties
- Book Review Understanding Vedic Equality….: Book Review
- Book Review Buddhism Made Easy: Book Review
- Book ReviewNews Elegant Summary Of Krishnamurti’s teachings
- Book Review Review: Perspectives: The Timeless Way of Wisdom
- Book ReviewNews Rituals too a world of Rhythm
- Book Review Marx After Marxism
- Book Review John Updike’s Terrorist – a review
Recent Top Post
- Commentaries Message to Jagan from the fall of KCR Fortress
- News UN rights chief slammed for not acknowledging Uyghurs on genocide convention anniversary
- Commentaries Post-Nov ballot, BJP Expects One Sided Final in 2024
- Commentaries India’s loss at UNESCO Board Poll
- News China requires job applicants in Tibet to denounce Dalai Lama
- News Former Tibetan political prisoner wins international democracy award
- News Uyghur poet Rozi confirmed dead in Xinjiang Jail
- News HK inde documentary to screen in Taiwan
- News 4 Tibetans sentenced for 2nd time in Sichuan
- Commentaries India Needs to Reinvent Ties with Neighbours